Eyeline Publishing is a visual and contemporary arts magazine publisher, based in Brisbane, Australia. Eyeline Magazine provides critique and in-depth analysis of contemporary visual arts, craft and related media. With a strong readership of over 36,000, Eyeline provides a unique content mix, including exhibition and book reviews, interviews of artists and designers, expert columns and articles on issues which are shaping the current visual arts landscape.
Having a worldwide readership, the team at Eyeline wanted to create an interactive digital experience for their magazine in order to make their presence felt on the digital front as well. The challenge for Eyeline was to retain the complex design of the magazine while making the whole user experience of immersive and interactive.
Eyeline decided to use the Liquid State Platform as it allowed them to make their app experience immersive with interactive exhibits, illustrations, reports and pictures etc. The Liquid State Platform supports multiple types of content including InDesign which enabled the team at Eyeline to deliver an application which met their requirements.
The Liquid State Platform provides Eyeline Publishing staff and interns with a user-friendly interface to publish the magazine across Apple and Android platforms. The staff are very quick to respond to any questions we have and have been incredibly supportive in helping Eyeline transition into the digital realm. Interactivity and the ability to introduce video down the track is a high priority for us. Now in Eyeline’s thirtieth year we can confidently achieve our digital publishing goals well into the future. – Rebecca Cason, Eyeline Publishing
The Eyeline Magazine app was created by Eyeline Publishing using Liquid State and then deployed across both Apple Store and Google Store. The team at Eyeline Publishing benefited from the following features of the Liquid State Platform:
- Code-free app: No technical coding skills were required to create and deliver the app which meant that Eyeline was self-sufficient to create and deliver apps.
- Monetising the app: With the help of the Liquid State platform, the Eyeline team has monetised their content (Magazine Issues)
- Easy to manage content: The Eyeline team doesn’t require internal or external support to manage and update the content of the app. The Liquid State Platform provides the flexibility and convenience to update content without going through the whole process of App Store submissions.
- Speed of app development: The whole process of app development including getting familiar with the Liquid State Platform and delivering the app to stores took less than 10 days.
- Single source of app: The team created the app only once using the Liquid State Platform, but they were able to deliver the app to Apple store and Google store, across various types of devices including mobiles and tablet. This not only saved time but also improved the overall efficiency for Eyeline.
- Push Notifications: The push notifications service enabled Eyeline to notify its users with the help of a “badge” icon, which alerted the users that the new issue is available.
- Offline access: This feature enabled the app users to access their favourite content without any internet connection.
Eyeline Publishing was able to deliver a content-rich app which achieved their goals of providing an immersive and interactive experience to the app users.